High Disk Activity; Antimalware service defender on W10 WRITES Gigabytes - bad for SSD

• Thread starter Thread starter Ward.[Xmodem]
  • Start date Start date
W

Ward.[Xmodem]

I am having the frequently asked problem of solid disk activity, unable to use my system for 10-15 seconds.

Lenovo T520, 8G, 256G SSD.

This ONLY started since the Windows 10 Anniversary update. So "what changed?" Nothing but the update.

It happens at any time - such as editing a document then doing file/save as, it may take 10 seconds of freeze before I can even enter a new directory. I could be browsing, or running an editor, or any of many things. I find my keyboard frozen, and look and see the solid hard disk light.

"tecchies" say "I can't imaging windows sustaining 10 seconds of constant disk activity on an SSD so as to lock out the user".

BUT PER SUBJECT: Antimalware (which must not be "windows defender" as I just shut that off(*)) is still active in my task list (per sysinternals Process Explorer). Sorting various column shows:

- Antimalware...

- highest page faults (6.5 Million)

- Highest reads (3.9G)

- Highest WRITES (1.1G) >>> This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, as minimizing writing is how you increase SSD life

- Highest CPU time

(*) I shut Windows Defender off, to see if that stops the awful "hard disk light on solid" interruptions of my use of the computer.

Thanks!

P.S. can I shut down windows defender and antimalware PERMANENTLY? I have never suffered a virus in decades of windows use, and I find many myself (zip files with scripts in them from bogus email senders) that defender doesn't find.

Continue reading...

Back