Help with recovering my lost files due to a Windows 10 temporary profile error

• Thread starter Thread starter ooboh
  • Start date Start date
O

ooboh

As you could probably tell by my post history, this isn't my first post based on the issue I am having, but hopefully this is my last. This has been an issue almost three years in the making.

This issue involves my Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop. It was given to me as a birthday present on July 25, 2012. It was working well until October of 2015, when I upgraded to Windows 10. In about April or May 2016, my laptop encountered a temporary profile error, and since then, it has been largely unusable, which has resulted in the disappearance of the vast majority of my videos, files, and documents.

Here’s where things get interesting: fast forward to July 31, 2016. I used a video tutorial to try to solve the profile error:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uF-eCrZGM&feature=youtu.be

This was a mistake, because I fear it may have overwritten my user account, and all of my personal files are now gone forever. On top of that, system restore doesn't work, nor does it go back far enough for me to do anything. I am now accessing my laptop using a “half-baked” version. However, I do have a glimmer of hope. My username — where all of my personal files are located — is “obohokey”. All of the fonts I’ve downloaded since I’ve gotten the laptop in 2012 are still on the laptop. Furthermore, all downloads since the Temporary Profile Error go to “obohokey.obohokey-PC.001” instead of “obohokey.”

I've tried contacting my school's IT help desk for assistance to my long-persisting problem. They suggested that I try to do a backup of my current files and do a complete reinstall, with the risk of potential data loss. I strongly considered this until I noticed how much data I had free on my drive.

You'll have to turn your head to see it, but it says that I have 819 GB free. I know for certain that I had way LESS than 819 GB free up to the moment the entire issue occurred, so that is why I approached doing a system reinstall with apprehension. If the system is wiped clean, and the wrong files are copied, then I will lose all of my actual files, assuming they are still on my laptop somewhere.

What do I do in this situation? Do I take a chance and go with the system reinstall, or if not, what should I do to be able to access "obohokey" again and finally put an end to this saga?

I understand that this is a lot of information to process. I will be deeply grateful to anyone who is willing to help me. Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back