Help with 2 installations of Windows10 on the same Laptop

• Thread starter Thread starter KYC2020
  • Start date Start date
K

KYC2020

My situation is that my Laptop has 2 Drives and I'm using it for both (Work + Personal use) so i'd like to keep 2 separate environment for each use, so I'm trying to have 2 instances/installations of Windows 10; one on each drive,

Drive#1: 250GB NVMe SSD - Formatted as 1 partition for OS#1

Drive#2: 500GB SATA SSD - Formatted as 2 partitions ( 100GB partition for OS#2 + 2nd Partition for "All My files" )

** keep in mind

1- I will be choosing the OS using BIOS boot options, i'm not looking for dual boot solution as i need Both "OS"s to be totally independent so if i remove either of the drives later in the future it wont affect the second and i'll still be able to boot the other OS normally

2- I need to keep both drives connected to the laptop as i need the files on the 2nd partition on drive#2 to be available to both OSs

What i've tried:

The OS in drive#1 is the one came with the laptop from the OEM and it was working fine, so i went and disconnected that Drive#1 totally then prepared "Installation Media" with the latest 1809 version and plugged in Drive#2 and installed Windows10, then updated Windows + Drivers + installed all apps, now Drive#2 is working fine also

THEN for the last step i reconnected drive#1 and selected it as primary boot option, powered up, only to get faced with BSOD with stop code ( unmountable boot volume )

so i googled it and based on what i found i disabled Secure Boot ( Fast startup is disabled on both drives first step right after the installation of windows), but still the same issue.

* I've noticed this BSOD only shows up if i try to boot of Drive#1 BUT if i try to boot of Drive#2 it would boot but it wont recognize Drive#1 and it shows only in "Disk Management" as "Offline", i have no clue why it would default to offline the drive but that discouraged me from changing it to online fearing the worst.

* if i connect only 1 drive it would boot fine with no issues. it only happens when i keep them both connected.

I have done this same scenario many time back in the days of WindowsXP and Windows7 but that was before UEFI.

So i appreciate any help regarding this :)

Continue reading...

Back