GPU to monitor is losing signal frequently (Uncertain and unidentified issue)

• Thread starter Thread starter MDNormandy
  • Start date Start date
M

MDNormandy

Hello, I've been having this issue with my PC for the last week or so where any monitor I use will lose a signal with my GPU frequently (could be every 1 to 3 hours, seemingly random), whether it's idle or in use for gaming. For clarity, I run a dual monitor setup with differing resolutions. In my earlier setup where I did not face this issue, my main monitor (3840x2160, 60hz) was used for gaming and my secondary monitor (1920x1080, 144hz) was mostly used for low priority multitasking. However, in my newest setup, I used the older 3840x2160 monitor as my secondary monitor and the newer (2560x1440, 144hz) monitor for gaming. I am convinced it has something to do with my GPU. However, if I may, I would like to pinpoint the exact cause, just to be sure it is my GPU and not something else I might be missing.

Whether I'm gaming or not, the monitor loses signal, but everything on the PC is still running - GPU is still powered, no beeps or lights flashing from the motherboard and it is still powered. After this happened a few times, what I've noticed is that the computer seems to do some kind of soft reboot, or perhaps it logs me out of my user account. I found this out because in one instance, I was able to recover from this 'crash' and I was able to get a signal and log back in. However, every other time this problem occurs I won't be able to reconnect the cable to get a signal - it stays black and I will have to restart my system where everything seems to return to normal until it eventually does it again.

So, after trying to diagnose this issue on my own, I believe I can safely rule out the possibility of overheating on the part of my GPU and/or CPU, and it has nothing to do with my monitors, all of them have lost signal whether in the dual setup or just one at a time. Temperatures stayed well within their components' respective safe zones while in and out of heavy use (mostly gaming). However, I'm wondering if this could actually be attributed to my PSU in some way? Of the many forums I see discussing similar (but not exactly the same) problems, there is usual talk of PSU's going bad. My PSU in particular is not old at all, I bought it from a local store earlier this year to compliment my new components with the fairly new GPU (purchased new in December 2019) and new CPU (purchased new earlier this year).

Here are my PC Specs:

Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz
32 GB RAM
Gigabyte RTX 2080 8GB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
WD Black 3TB HDD
750W PSU

While I have done some of the research on my own, I am not pretending to know more than I do. I only understand the basics, so if I seem to give off the impression that I know for certain what the issue is, I don't, and I apologize if it seems so. I just want to know what my next move should be, whether I invest in new hardware, or if I can fix it myself. Thank you in advance for any help.

*On a separate, but likely related note, I found this error in my Event Viewer to be somewhat relevant to my issue, but I don't understand how to read these kinds of errors from Event Viewer, so if you could let me know what this is, I'd greatly appreciate it. This happened around the time my monitor lost signal:

Error 8/20/2020 12:37:27 PM DxgKrnl 465 (280)

Winlogon in session 1 (console) reuqested session stop using GPU, returned status STATUS_SUCCESS, with progress stage of successful

Continue reading...

Back