Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in other folder windows.

• Thread starter Thread starter erik_12020025
  • Start date Start date
E

erik_12020025

Reproduce

I downloaded this latest blender alpha build zip-file ( Blender Experimental Builds - blender.org ) and extracted it's contents to replace (update) my existing application files of same app on my drive.

The zip-file and archived subfolder path taken from 7-Zip File Manager address filed reads like:

"[...]\blender-2.93.0-3fea77ceedcd-windows64.zip\blender-2.93.0-3fea77ceedcd-windows64\"

While extracting the subfolder's contents from the archive sub-folder (7-Zip File Manager) directly into the program folder on my D:-drive (Windows Explorer folder window) (to manually / copy-replace-update this portable app):

1. 7-Zip extracts the compressed files showing you it's internal operation with progress bar.
  2. Then Windows says Copying as it counts the files extracted to the temp folder.
  3. Then Windows says Moving from temp folder to destination folder.
  4. Then Replace?-dialogue as Windows has written the data on the destination drive and checks the paths?
  5. You hit Yes Replace.
  6. Overwriting.
  7. Finished. - Now you can once more drag (and drop) in any of your (priorly) open(ed) folders (explorer / file manager).

1 thru 6 dragging is disabled (inactive) inside the third (unrelated) folder windows (Windows Explorer) where I am trying to sort files.

Selecting files and other operations works. The window is not frozen. No app freezes or crashes. But dragging is disabled in unrelated and priorly opened folders.

Dragging is a functionality in Windows Explorer that doesn't seem to need locking/disabling while 7-Zip and Copying/Moving finishes up especially in unrelated folders / windows?

Happens both with 7-Zip 19.00 (2019-02-21) for Windows (x64) and 7-Zip 21.00 alpha (2021-01-19) for Windows (x64).

I find no settings in either version of the 7-zip File Manager app to mitigate this behavior / bug / limitation.

System (temporary) drive is C:\ - a SSD.

The blender zip file is in my user Downloads folder on C:\.

The temporary folder path is: "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\7zE094EE8B8".

Destination folder is directly under the root of D:\ drive - another SSD.

The destination folder (files from .zip file are extracted (...moved) into) is called "blender-2.93.0-...-windows64".

Full path: "D:\blender-2.93.0-...-windows64". (<-the ellipsis "..." inside the folder name is as is.)

The thing is that when copying contents from folder to folder, no dragging is disabled in any third / unrelated opened folder window; even with a Replace files? prompt. During counting files OK; during prompt OK; when writing (replacing) OK.

But when the whole operation is initiated from 7-Zip via a drag&drop extract from 7-Zip into Windows File Manager folder window (with subsequent replace prompt) then the entire way, dragging is disabled of contents in other (unrelated and priorly open) folder windows (thumbnail view).

I have confirmed that during the counting files (Copying) and the moving (replacing) sub-operation (while 7-Zip still waits for the event that the operation is fully completed?) it should be the same type of operation as from Windows Explorer folder to Windows Explorer folder but I think 7-Zip locks or is allowed to lock all opened folder windows (because it's the same app/process as its drag&drop target?).

I presume it's not the way 7-Zip is designed but since zip archive functionality is integrated into Windows Explorer, this issue might not happen using native zip extraction, however I'm assuming the locking (of dragging) is on Windows 10's end?
Otherwise maybe I can link or copy this post to the 7-Zip feedback forum and you deserve a good snack for reading this all-the-same.

The issue is unique to drag&drop-extracting from 7-Zip into Windows Explorer.

Using the "[-] Extract" toolbar item in 7-Zip does not lock/disable dragging, testing both drives.

File manager window set with Large thumbnails, toolbar pane (Home) expanded with navigation pane and status bar.

Windows 10 Pro, up-to date. I ran the last Windows Update yesterday (Feb 11 2021) and see no update currently.

I realise this is like a smaller product polishing issue and probably a luxurious sort of request.

If it's a bug, I hope I explained the reproduction fully.

Otherwise please excuse the post and thanks for working on Windows.

Thank You.

Continue reading...

Back