Diskpart format H: /FS:FAT32 for leaving windows “Automatic Repair, Your PC Did Not Start Correctly” cycle - All data will be lost

• Thread starter Thread starter exceluser_123
  • Start date Start date
E

exceluser_123

Dear community,

I am currently trapped in the cycle of “Automatic Repair, Your PC Did Not Start Correctly” cycle. I found this thread which discusses how this can be Windows 10 bootrec /fixboot access is denied.

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
  2. Boot from the media.
  3. Select Repair Your Computer.

Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:

Type in the command:

Diskpart

Type in the command:

List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)

Type in the command:

Sel disk 0

Type in the command:

List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)

Type in the command:

Sel vol 4

Type in the command:

assign letter=H:

Type in the command:

Exit

Type in the command:

H:

After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:

Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:

format V: /FS:FAT32

Type in the command: bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI (This replaces the above crossed out lines and works in Win 10 1709)

-----

I had to start at step 3 since I only have my Laptop and thus no other device to boot from. Everything works until the command "format V: /FS:FAT32". After entering this and its volume label (SYTEM_DRV), following warning is shown:

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE H: WILL BE LOST! Proceed with Format (Y/N)?

I am not sure whether this was intended from the original post or whether I might be a different case? Will my computer be able to boot afterwards? Before the reformatting, H is a FAT32 partition with 260 MB and healthy status that according to my understanding is responsible for booting?

I am not sure how else I could escape the boot cycle.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Continue reading...

Back