disabling BitLocker on SSD from friends dead laptop to permit user file salvage

• Thread starter Thread starter DS-219
  • Start date Start date
D

DS-219

Dear Microsoft Community.

I am trying to help a friend out. Her Dell Inspiron 13 7000 2-in-1 laptop died when her toddler bumped a glass of water right into the keyboard. Repeated attempts to power-on and boot the system fail, with no visible responses whatsoever. I removed the back cover and did close visual inspection of all visible components. I detected at least a dozen (12+) spots on the main board, where IC's, microchips, and micro-components looked smoked, toasted, and just plain burnt. I conclude these were the result of H2O shorting out pins and circuits on the top side of main board, which is not visible.

I conferred with my friend, explained the situation, that the main board was now 'toast'. I suggested we try to salvage the SSD drive and her user files, if we could. So we started that effort. We researched the SSD component, then researched a suitable SSD NVME Adapter enclosure for connection to USB. We bought what I believe is a quality product of that type adapter. It arrived today, and this evening I transferred the old NVME SSD from the dead laptop to the new NVME Adapter. Plugged it into the USB 3.1 Thunderbolt port on my personal MSI Windows 10 laptop.

The good news is that Windows 10 is acting like it can see a drive on (E:) which confirms the nvme adapter is playing well with the old nvme SSD from dead laptop. So the old SSD is (I think) still good and not dead. The bad news is that Windows immediately informs me the drive is protected by BitLocker and that I need "the 48 digit Recovery Key to unlock the {SSD} drive." It also provides me the 8 digit hex "Key ID#", which I wrote down.

I do not know who, when, or where BitLocker was originally turned On for the old dead laptop. I do not have the required 48 digit recovery key, nor do I know who might have it. I txtd my friend, explained the situation, and suggested they look around for the original factory papers that came with the old dead laptop. Maybe the BitLocker Recovery Key number is provided there, but I doubt it.

So, that's my situation. I want to make every effort to salvage my friends user files from the old SSD so we can copy them to a USB Flash Drive, and then transfer them to her new computer. If we can accomplish that, then we can just reformat the old SSD, leave it in the nvme ssd adapter, and they can use it as external storage.

So, is there any way I can disable, deactivate, or otherwise switch off, the existing BitLocker protection currently blocking my access to the old laptop's SSD now resident in the new nvme ssd adapter? Given that the hardware component and nvme adapter appear functionally sound, but I do not have the BitLocker Recovery Key number. And the old Dell Laptop is pretty much toast, which prevents booting and most likely even accessing the BIOS.

If I cannot locate the original BitLocker recovery key number, is there any way forwards to salvage the user files?

Thanks.

DS-219

Continue reading...

Back