Did deleting the Secure Boot keys kill my shared folder access?

• Thread starter Thread starter BubiBalboa
  • Start date Start date
B

BubiBalboa

When I try to access a shared folder in Windows it suddenly asks for network credentials. No matter which credentials I try it tells me the password is incorrect. I know for a fact it's not wrong.

I tried all the solutions I found through Google but nothing helped. Maybe you can.

- I'm on Win10 with all the latest updates installed on both machines

- I exclusively use my Microsoft Account to log into the PCs.

- My IP addresses are static in my router and set to auto in Windows.

- Both PCs are in the same network and it's set to private in Windows.

- File and Printer sharing is set to "on", as is network discovery.

- Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host are set to start automatically

- My MS account has full permissions set in the advanced sharing options of each folder

- I couldn't find any account issues in the settings menu or on the MS account management website.

Things I tried:

All combinations of credentials including:

*emailaddress*:pwd

MicrosoftAccount/*emailaddress*:pwd

Computername*username*:pwd

IPAddress/*username*:pwd

And some other combinations of those.

Removing and adding variations of these credentials to the credential manager with lots of restarts between tries.

Using my PIN instead of password.

What I didn't try because I don't like those solutions:

- Turning off password protection

- Making new local accounts just to share folders

- Reinstalling Windows

I'm not 100% sure but I think this problem coincided with me deleting the Secure Boot Keys in the UEFI of my laptop (one of the two machines involved). Secure boot was already turned off though because I have a dualboot Linux system installed as well.

I can only assume I killed some internal security mechanism. But then why is everything else completely fine? And how do I fix it?

Thanks for reading my lengthy post and for your help!

Continue reading...

Back