Default Gateway not available.

• Thread starter Thread starter JustinShields2
  • Start date Start date
J

JustinShields2

Hi, I've been having this problem a lot recently, and I'm at my wit's end. I don't know what caused this to start happening. I've had my computer for a long time (an HP with Windows 8.1, and an AMD A6-5200 APU processor, and if there's any other info on the computer needed, I don't know where to locate it as I'm FAR from any kind of computer expert), and only recently has this begun happening. We did just get a new TP-Link_AD84 router, but my computer was working fine for a day or two after having it set up. Also, other computers that have been in the household over the course of new routers we've gotten can still connect fine with no drops, as do the two Playstation 4 systems in the house. All those devices have absolutely no problem, while my laptop seems to be constantly suffering.

Constantly my computer's internet will slow down drastically, and often drop completely. If I run the troubleshooter for the connection when it's running slow, the speed will suddenly pick up as if the connection knows its being "taddled on" for not working and quickly setting itself straight before the troubleshooter can detect anything. If the connection does outright drop (leading pages to say "Server not found" over and over), then the troubleshooter will fix it with the problem being "Default Gateway not available". Sometimes, very rarely, the error will be "Network configuration doesn't have a valid IP address".

Again, these are problems I've never had before. I mean, for years with no problem, aside from the usual hiccup once every few months. I've tried so many things. I've tried having the adapter set to automatically obtain the IP address settings. I've tried manually setting the IP address and default gateway to the correct settings, but it still somehow drops despite being the manual setting. I've tried rebooting the router and modem, several times.

I've even tried buying an external network adapter that had tons of high reviews, and it actually worked for a few days. No drops, and my internet was faster than it had ever been (it's a Realtek RTL888811AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB 2.0), but it too started having the same default gateway issues, even AFTER doing a complete factory reset on the laptop in question.

And I checked.The drivers on the built-in network adapter and the USB one are up to date. I even tried them without the latest drivers and still had the same problem. I'm beginning to think it's not the network adapter, unless it's an uncanny coincidence, but it doesn't explain why the USB one was working so amazingly well for a few days before suddenly giving the same results.

It also seems like, often, the connection only drops (or comes close to dropping) when starting a download/upload.

I have a newer computer, an ASUS with Windows 8.1 and an Intel(R) Celron(R) CPU N2830 @ 2.16GHz processor. That one started having similar issues back when we got our previous router, so I started using this older one again. It... connects to the internet ok with its built-in adapter, though so far it's only been a day and it's been really slow, which could just be our internet in general. When trying to use the same USB adapter in that computer, it too was having the default gateway dropping.

That's what lead to me popping it back into this laptop, after having done its factory reset, and then experiencing a default gateway drop. It's like, ever since it dropped once after those many days of smooth sailing, it just won't work properly anymore. Again, it's only a problem with this computer (and to a lesser extent the other one of mine, though it's still on trial). Is there anything possibly within the laptop itself that could cause this problem, aside from the network adapter itself? Going by the track record, it seems like no matter what adapter I use, it's gonna eventually have default gateway (and possible IP configuration) problems.

Could something within the laptops hardware itself be shot, causing this instability? Is there anything I can possibly try to bring things back to the way they were, with me not having to worry about this constant connection dropping at all, let alone every few minutes?

As someone whose livelihood depends on internet connection, and whose main source of entertainment also comes from it, this has been insurmountably infuriating. It almost seems like I'm cursed, and that no matter what computer I have, it's gonna have this problem, when I've gone over a decade (not necessarily with the same computer the whole time) without experiencing it. It's become the bane of my existence and I have absolutely no clue what could be causing it, and my overall lack of intricate understanding of how these devices work doesn't help.

It just makes little sense how I can go a day without problems and then suddenly face them constantly the next day. The logical part of my brain keeps thinking "NOTHING changed between yesterday and today, so why is it acting like something has??".I can't think of any constant variables in this equation that are now different that could be causing this. If anyone's an expert and has ideas of what could be the cause (and capable of explaining it to someone with little knowledge of the inner workings of computers or their terminology), I'd greatly appreciate it.

And if you need more info to work with, I'd be happy to provide it as long as I'm told what info's needed and how I can find it. As much as I'd love to hunt down the methods online myself, the constantly-dropping connection is making actively using the internet something I'm starting to loathe/dread.

Especially since using the internet means clicking links, which means the constant chance of seeing "server not found" and having my stress levels skyrocket. Not to make light of PTSD, as I have family members with it, but this is starting to scar me and condition me to expect any page I try loading to fail.

Continue reading...

Back