Computer slowly degrades over time and requires daily restart

• Thread starter Thread starter michael.c.maxwell
  • Start date Start date
M

michael.c.maxwell

I am out of troubleshooting ideas and am asking for help.

My computer has suffered slow degradation throughout each day; requiring a system reboot to restore to normal operating condition. Although, it works great running at high performance for several hours after reboot.

Custom Built System (Most parts recently replaced to include new motherboard. I have replaced everything except the GPU and power supply):

CPU: Intel i9-9900K 3.6GHz

GPU: GTX 1080 Ti - up to date

RAM: 32Gb

SSD: 4Tb Samsung and 2Tb Samsung - up to date

Power Supply: 1000W

Cooling: Fans and AIO liquid cooling

System Temps: 20-40C depending on load

Anti-Virus: McCafee - up to date

After more than 6 hours since a reboot the computer then starts to noticeably stutter (programs, games, and mouse all stutter) every few minutes and takes longer to respond to clicks on the screen, open new windows, or display new information. This gets worse over time and after a few days running the entire system will be completely unresponsive even with no major programs running. If I leave the computer on for several days the CPU will run at 30-40% and the RAM will run at 50-70%.

As I am typing this post my computer has been on for 16 hours and every 30-60 seconds the text freezes and then a few seconds later catches up to what I had typed. When this happens the CPU briefly spikes from 3% to 10%, the RAM stays constant at 20%, but the SSD looks like a sawtooth as it randomly spikes every few seconds. The largest spikes/glitches occur when the CPU, SSD, and network simultaneously spike together. However, the glitches only occur when the CPU spikes to about 10% and the glitch only lasts for a couple seconds. The other time glitches occur is whenever I click on something, which also lasts a few seconds. I have no other major programs running except Chrome. There are numerous background programs running to include McCafee and it reports no viruses or malware. I suspect there are background programs that can be cleaned up, but I'm not sure which ones. I also suspect a possible memory leak, but am not sure how to fix that. As the computer stays on the length of time each spike lasts increases. Over the course of writing this post the average spike has gone from a 1 second length every 30-60 seconds to occasionally a 3-5 second length in the same 30-60 second period of repetition.

I initially suspected something was wrong with my motherboard or SSD and replaced those to include my CPU because they were getting old after several re-builds. However, I worry whatever was wrong on the SSD was possibly cloned onto my new SSD when I installed it. I am out of troubleshooting ideas and am asking for help.

Continue reading...

Back