Choppy Audio in Gamebar Recordings

• Thread starter Thread starter KaceyMoncur
  • Start date Start date
K

KaceyMoncur

Hi,

I've seen a previous post on this topic here (Choppy audio in videos recorded through Game bar - Microsoft Community) but the response was pretty much a non-answer because the Mod basically told the guy to just reboot everything and check the settings. This is why I'm making another post on the topic. I'm not throwing shade at that Mod, I'd just like a more specific answer than what he offered.

So I (like the creator of the first post) have been trying to record videos of my Minecraft Java Edition gameplay and the recordings generally have turned out poorly.

So my steps go something like this:

1. Reboot my computer and only open the apps that are absolutely nessessary for my recording: audio software, Razer Synapse, the game, etc.

2. Record a few 10-15 second test clips and listen to them to make sure everything sounds and looks good.

3. Record my actual footage only to discover afterwards that about 5 minutes into the video the audio quality suddenly takes a dive and it sounds like I'm talking through an in-sink disposal system.

4. Spend seemingly endless time editing the video to make it even somewhat acceptable to be published to Youtube.

5. Dread doing the process again.

It's just really strange because my test recordings sound fine, even the intro-first half of the video will sound fine but suddenly it changes to weird rapid cyclic mutings and crackles(in between the very short muted spots) as if I'm talking through a blown out speaker. The time that this unfortunate change kicks in seems to be somewhat random; anywhere from 2 minutes to an hour and a half in my experience.

My not-so-well-tuned spidey senses say this is caused by computer overload/lag during recording. This would kind of make sense since both playing games, and recording video are rather taxing activities for a computer's CPU/GPU. I'm far from knowledgeable about computers but from what I've read my computer is pretty beefy. It's a Dell Precision 5520 which has 32 GB of Ram so I don't think that is the problem. I'm not sure what the graphics card is... it's probably nothing exciting as this isn't designed to be a gaming computer.

I use a Razer Kraken Ultimate for my mic/headphones. The unfiltered mic is a bit sharp so I use Voicemeter Banana to soften the harsh sound. Then, I have the filtered audio from Banana run into VB Audio's Virtual Cable which is what I select as my audio input device for recordings. Obviously this is a lot of steps but I know these aren't the problem in the recordings because I run into the same problem when recording without them.

I record at 30fps with whatever the recommended audio quality is.

What do you think is the problem here? Does my computer simply lack the graphics capabilities to record and play for extended amounts of time? Should I invest in an eGPU(I just read about them while trying to find my graphics card info)?

Continue reading...

Back