Can't run, update, or uninstall OneNote

• Thread starter Thread starter AmeliaA
  • Start date Start date
A

AmeliaA

When I first upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop, OneNote worked fine, though I did not use it. (Just opened it and looked at it.) A few months ago, I decided I wanted to try OneNote rather than Evernote, and since I have OneNote on more than one device, it seemed to make sense.

At first, the icon was there on my Start menu, but clicking it did nothing. After trying some troubleshooting, I gave up and simply removed the icon from the Start menu. Over the last couple weeks, I've been trying again to fix it. It is as though Windows 10 and the Store think that OneNote is there, so I can't install a fresh copy, but there is actually no app installed. The app icon in the "All Apps" menu used to have the little OneNote image on it, but now it's just purple and the word "OneNote" is literally gray (all the other apps are in white text).

1. The Windows Store thinks it's installed on my computer, but updating doesn't work and ends in an error.

2. I can't uninstall it because that's not an option (when clicking on the shortcut in the Start menu before I removed it, I could only resize, etc., not uninstall).

3. I have run the Store app fix-it troubleshooter repeatedly (every time I decide to try again), and it doesn't find or fix any errors.

4. I have tried resetting the Store app (which has helped with other Store app problems), but that hasn't helped.

5. I have tried running the following fix which I have found in multiple responses to similar problems, but it returns with an error saying that it's not found:

1) Start Admin command prompt and type “powershell” and Enter

2) In powershell prompt: "get-appxpackage *microsoft.office.onenote* | remove-appxpackage"

3) In powershell prompt: "remove-appxprovisionedpackage –Online –PackageName Microsoft.Office.OneNote_2014.919.2035.737_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe" & close command prompt.

4) Open new command prompt with admin privileges & reset Windows Store, with the command prompt "wsreset" ; Search for OneNote app and install.

I am at my wit's end. I really do NOT want to reset Windows since I have many programs installed that are not Store apps and reinstalling them would be a PIA. Surely there must be a way to get rid of whatever remnants of OneNote that are causing the app to appear to be there so that it can be reinstalled fresh. It's very annoying to have a built-in app that's supposed to be part of what's wonderful about the Windows ecosphere, but which can't be fixed in any way.

Continue reading...

Back