"bootrec /scanos" not working, "bootrec /rebuildbcd" not working, "bootrec /FixBoot" not working

• Thread starter Thread starter KevinMoorman
  • Start date Start date
K

KevinMoorman

This answer from last year seemed to address the non-booting issue, but completely ignores the original problem statement, "Might be worth nothing that bootrec /fixboot returned as having denied access."

bootrec /scanos or bootrec /rebuildbcd not working

I understand how difficult it is, when the system doesn’t work in the way it should. For us to isolate the issue and to assist you further, we'd like to ask you a few questions.

1. Does the computer boot to the desktop?
[no it doesn't boot]

2. Did you install multiple OS on your system?
[no just the same, single windows 10 home edition]

3. Why are you running those commands?
[I transferred windows from HDD to NVME SSD using clonezilla, I subsequently formatted the HDD, the system booted once from the NVME but not again since.]

I suggest you to create a bootable media and full the command mention below, Refer this article on How to access Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) thru Windows 10 Media Creation Tool / DVD ISO to access WinRE Advanced options.

1. Click on Command Prompt.
2. In the Command Prompt, type in or copy/paste the given below line of commands one after the other. Ensure to press/hit Enter after inserting each command.

Diskpart
sel disk 0
list vol

3. Verify the EFI partition by using the FAT32 file system as well as to assign a drive letter with it. Type these commands in Command Prompt and press Enter after each of them.

sel vol <number of volume>
assign letter=<drive letter>:
exit

4. Repair the Boot record by running following Commands, type one at a time as well as hit the Enter button from keyboard.

cd /d <drive letter>:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
bootrec /FixBoot
[all good up to this point, when I execute this command it comes back "Access is denied."]

5. Now you need to rebuild the BCD store again, type the command below and press Enter.

ren BCD BCD.old
[this worked]

6. Recreate it by running the given line of command.

bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s <boot letter>: All
[this seemed to work if I add /f: "bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s <boot letter>: /f All"]

Hope it helps, Mithin EJ Microsoft Community - Moderator
[nope, it changed nothing. I still cannot boot into Windows, the command "bootrec /FixBoot" still comes back, "Access is denied.", the command "bootrec /scanos" comes back with 0 instances of Windows, and "bootrec /rebuildbcd" also comes back with 0 instances.]

Continue reading...

Back