Black screen with flashing underscore (Windows 10)

• Thread starter Thread starter Kobertelli
  • Start date Start date
K

Kobertelli

I started having this problem a few days ago, during a windows update my PC restarted and when I tried to turn it back on I was met with a black screen with a blinking underscore on the top left of the screen. I tried to reboot in safe mode multiple times but I got the same results. I have 1 hard drive(1TB) and I have tried unplugging and plugging it back in again to no avail. So I made a windows 10 bootable USB to try and run system repairs, upon getting to the startup screen I attempted the following Troubleshooting options:

• Start-up Repair runs for about 5 seconds before saying "couldn't repair your PC"
  • System restore can't be done as I have to boot up Windows 10 with the USB.
  • I don't have a system image file to use for recovery
  • I can't uninstall any updates

So the only option I was left with was the command prompt. Here I ran Chkdsk /f on my HDD which ran fine and no problems were found. I then ran Chkdsk /r which also showed that there wasn't any problems and no further action was needed. I then tried the following commands as recommended on other posts:

• Bootrec /fixmbr - Operation completed successfully
  • Bootrec /fixboot - Operation completed successfully
  • Bootrec /scanos - Identified 1 windows installation and completed successfully
  • Bootrec /rebuildbcd - identifies window installation but upon entering 'y' it says the requested device cannot be found.

I'm assuming the OS is corrupted or not being detected but I don't know what else to do now, any help?

thanks in advance.

Continue reading...

Back