Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine fails due to Volume Shadow Copy Service

• Thread starter Thread starter SV Max
  • Start date Start date
S

SV Max

The full error is:

Backup failed to complete. A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SSP" application event logs for more information. Detailed error: The operation ended before completion.

Upon checking the event log, it says:

The backup operation that started at '‎2020‎-‎05‎-‎08T21:33:38.477000000Z' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '0x807800A1'.

What am I trying to do?

I'm running Windows Server 2016 as a Hyper-V host. I have some virtual machines that I would like to back up using the Windows Server Backup feature as shown here:

7d16ac00-6ce1-49fd-b87c-09e356142342?upload=true.png

I am backing these VMs to a remote shared folder and eventually get these backed up on a schedule on a daily basis (but that's outside this post). The issue is that every time I try to backup these VMs, the above error message appears. For whatever reason, these backups work just fine in our test environment but do not work in our production environment.

I did some reading and found that the Volume Shadow Copy service has to be running in order for this to work. I looked in Services and found that it wasn't running. I started it and enabled Automatic startup. This did not work. I found that there are dependencies on this service (such as Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service) that have be running too. These also did not correct the issue.

Our Windows firewall is turned off and antivirus is disabled too.

Does anyone have any suggestion or solution to this issue?

Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back