AntiMalware Service Executable HIGH CPU USAGE After Windows 10 Update

• Thread starter Thread starter vj000000
  • Start date Start date
V

vj000000

After the installation of the current Windows 10 Update (2021-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems [KB5001028]) on 02-11-2021, AntiMalware Service Exe began to suck up high CPU utilization consistently.

Even after I completed a Quick Scan and a Full Scan and did multiple Shut Downs/Restarts, the Exe continued to constantly suck up 50%+ utilization "at idle" (no apps open). With only one browser open, overall CPU utilization would be excessive (80 to 100%) and my ThinkPad would slow to a crawl.

Found the by Ali UlasHayir for AntiMalware Service Executable HIGH CPU USAGE and followed instructions posted in this thread by Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020. Used the link (https://thewindowscentral.com/msmpeng-exe-high-) that Greg provided to try to fix this problem.

The first option of turning off cloud protection and sampling settings did nothing. So, I reset those setting back on.

The second option to Prevent Windows Defender from Scanning its Directory appeared to be viable; so, I tried that. After applying this fix and restarting per instructions, the AntiMalware Service Exe CPU utilization dropped significantly and into the low single digit %'s (0 to 4%). Overall CPU utilization also dropped significantly "at idle" (no apps open) into the low digits (5 to 10%).

It appears to me that the current Windows 10 Update referenced at the top has an inherent problem that needs to be fixed.

Continue reading...

Back