After Update to 1809 on NEW SSD, "Windows Defender: Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization"

• Thread starter Thread starter Techwest
  • Start date Start date
T

Techwest

I do some MS and Apple IT work for small business and home users. I replaced the HDD in a Dell Latitude, late model, with a new SSD, and installed Windows 10 fresh/clean using SDHC written using the Microsoft Media Builder. It installed version 1803. The next day I upgraded that to Version 1809 [December 19 2018]. The only software installed on the system were the driver packages that Windows 10 did not pickup, and the browsers: Firefox, Chrome. nothing else. I did this under a Local User Account with Administrative privileges for the intended user. I did not enable the builtin Administrator account.

Two days later I enabled the built-in Administrator Account because there were some folders under the Local Account to which I got "access denied" that should not have been. I ran, under the enabled Administrator Account sfc /scannow, it completed with errors, could not repair and left a cbs log. I noticed there was a Notification that Defender was not operating. When I went to Settings for Defender I was denied [still logged in as built-in Administrator ] message: "Windows Defender: Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your IT organization"

I was not able to bypass that block.

Disabled the Administrator account, went back to the one/only user account and ran sfc /scannow again, same result.

Are these permissions problems normal for V 1809 at this point? Should I redo the whole system with Version 1803 and stay there until beyond 1809?

Continue reading...

Back