After a windows update, I can no longer get playable FPS in games. Update KB4556803 messed up my system.

• Thread starter Thread starter ConorHastings
  • Start date Start date
C

ConorHastings

I have made a Reddit post already on r/Windows10 detailing most of this. Some of this will be pulled from there and the link to it is here. Sorry for the wall of text, but it isn't a problem that can be described in a few words.

My post is as follows:

On June 2nd of this year, I downloaded KB4556803 as I was trying to add a new Destiny 2 overlay tool for Xbox game bar. To download it, the app store told me I needed an update in order to use it. So I did, and that is where my issues started. Since then every single game runs at about 20 frames from the normal 60 that i get. I am on an ASUS Laptop, 60hz screen, NVIDIA GTX 1650, 16gbs of RAM, i5-9300H CPU 2.4GHZ. Not sure what else I can add spec wise that will help but let me know and I will add it. At first I thought it was just a problem with Destiny 2, a game known to have random FPS drop problems, and so I ignored it for the time as I could just play on xbox. The next game I played was Borderlands 2, and I'm not sure if its just cause its an older game or not, but I think it was getting slightly above 30fps. So I couldn't exactly tell if something was wrong, maybe due to being acustomed to 30fps for so long. Obviously I should have checked sooner so I could have rolled back the update, but a lot of this stuff is sill newish to me. And, after a long day of staring at a screen for work, the last thing I wanted to do was mess with a computer some more.

So I pushed it off until today, June 12th (the time i had posted this). I attempted to run the Witcher 3, and it was hitting under 20 for frames making it unplayable. It's well past the 10 days (couldn't they give us a few more weeks for this?) to roll back the previous one, now update KB4557957 is installed and the only one I can uninstall is that one. I tried to uninstall 7957, which I was able to do, but it gave me an error when I tried to uninstall 6803. I unfortunately do not have a back up I can restore to, but maybe this is the kinda problem I needed to have in order to get a backup drive and do regular backups.

Things I have tried to fix this so far:

I have updated and reinstalled the Graphics driver already.

I have messed with all in game settings, I at least know how all that stuff works. Nothing was changed from how I had it running prior to the update. I can play most games on High to a custom hybrid of med to high and will have no problems maintaining 60FPS in everything. Tried changing them all down to low, didn't help at all.

Made sure the games were actually utilizing my GPU.

I went through NVIDIA Control panel and checked my settings.

Tried seeing if shutting Game Bar off would help, it didn't. (Even tried it after the reset)

I've talked it through with one of my more PC savvy friends and he really wasn't sure what else I could do except for a fresh install of Windows 10 or something called a DDU (something I'd like to avoid completely if possible, it is out of my comfort zone). A fresh windows install is a last resort, I wanted to see if there are any other options.

Queue new stuff:

Tried turning on Hardware-accelerated gpu scheduling, it did nothing.

Most recently, I tried what I hadn't wanted to do and reset my pc. That was yesterday. I even had bought a back up drive cause the thought of resetting makes me a bit paranoid. Well, it didn't. It seems like its just reinstalled the same version of windows that was having the problems, which isn't what i thought it was going to do.

NVIDIAs newest driver update, from June 24th, did not fix this either.

I am at complete loss as to what to do next. Resetting things essentially just messed up the way I had everything, which bothers me immensely, and did not fix the problem. Update KB4556803 messed up my laptop, it's the only thing that it could be. Everything points to it. Only days before that it was running perfectly. The following updates did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

Where do I go from here? Who do I contact to make this problem known? What's the best way of contacting them? I don't have tons of time to devote to all of this.

If anyone could offer any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Continue reading...