Added SSD to system and installed windows 10. However all programs that I want to leave on HDD aren't recognised.

• Thread starter Thread starter csun12
  • Start date Start date
C

csun12

Hi, so I have just installed a small SSD into my PC with the view of running the OS from that and leaving all my existing programs and data on my 1T HDD. I read that the best way to do this is to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD which I have now done and got working okay.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)]Initially I was unable to access any of the data in the Users folder on the HDD because of admin issues. I have now got this fixed and re-directed all of the folders, 'Documents' 'Pictures' 'Music' etc so that they now link to the HDD. One problem I'm still having is that the programs that are installed on the HDD are not showing up, either in the windows search bar or in programs and features (my understanding is that the OS on the SSD won't recognise these as they were effectively installed under a different OS). Now I can go into the location folders for these programs and create new shortcuts and launch them that way but it's not working for all programs and they still aren't being recognised by the new OS. I've read in a few places that you have to re-format the old drive and install everything again but if I can avoid doing that and having to move around 600gb of programs and files then that would be preferable.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 1)]Also to note windows 10 is still installed on the old HDD but i’m now booting from the SDD, what is the best way to remove all the windows files from this drive. Is it as simple as deleting the windows folder, imagine it won’t be quite as straightforward as this? [/COLOR]

Thanks in Advance

Continue reading...

Back