Activating Windows after Hardware Change when the Troubleshooter Doesn't Work

• Thread starter Thread starter NilsRundquist
  • Start date Start date
N

NilsRundquist

I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. I made sure that my Windows 10 Pro license was properly linked to my microsoft account (the text under 'Accounts' in setting read "windows is activated with digital license linked to your microsoft account"), but I can't get Windows 10 to activate with the new motherboard.

I navigate to Settings -> Activation -> Troubleshoot, and from what I read I should get an option that says "I recently upgraded my hardware", but all the troubleshooter does is load and then read "We can't activate your copy of Windows. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and try again. If you're connected to the Internet and continue seeing this problem, contact your system administrator for more information." I am logged into my microsoft account in settings. Here is a screenshot of the troubleshooter result: View: https://i.imgur.com/kfeRdjN.png

I originally upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (which was originally installed with a retail code), but that was so many years and moves ago that I have no idea what the product key is. I built my own computer, so it's not anywhere on the chasis or in an email, and since it wasn't a pre-built computer the windows license shouldn't be bound to the motherboard. I spent all day on the phone with Microsoft Support, but since I didn't have a product key they told me they couldn't help me. (Clearly their flow chart said if the troubleshooter didn't work for a change of hardware, I needed a product key. But I didn't have one to give). I looked online for methods of pulling windows product keys off of computers to get one out of my old motherboard (which when reinstalled still reads as "activated with digital license linked to your microsoft account") to no avail.

It seems like this is more a problem with my microsoft account license not communicating with my machine (i.e. the troubleshooter not working).

How can I get my digital license to recognize my new hardware if the windows activation troubleshooter isn't working?

Continue reading...

Back