17GB of files in $RECYCLE.BIN/S-1-5-21 which are invisible and I cant delete even when enabling hidden and system files in windows explorer

• Thread starter Thread starter Beni Szulyovszky
  • Start date Start date
B

Beni Szulyovszky

I was running Defraggler on my drive, not my system boot drive but just an extra one for my games, and noticed a file called $RA006P6.zip not being defragged which I'm fine with but Defraggler says it is 17GB. I have no idea what it is, and if possible, I would like to get rid of it to free up some storage. It is under the directory E:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-3837740453-3184792230-2239293416-1001\ as stated by defraggler and which I managed to locate by enabling hidden files and protected operating system files.

I am not sure what this recycle bin folder is but I did some research and found that others have had issues where they want to empty $RECYCLE.BIN folders on external hard drives. However, I tried following what those answers said, such as using disc clean to empty the recycle bin, but the file is still there in Defraggler. I can open the RECYCLE.BIN folder but when I try open the S-1-5-21-3837740453-3184792230-2239293416-1001 subfolder within it, it just says access denied. I am not sure what this folder is and why it is 17GB (or rather a file in it, according to Defraggler. The properties of it via windows explorer says it is 0 bytes but im assuming that is due to the same reason why I cant open it). How can I get rid of it? When I typed in the start of the subfolder to google the first suggestion that came up was "S-1-5-21 virus". Could this be a virus? I tried scanning it with Malwarebytes but I got nothing.

I am on windows 10. Let me know if you need any more info about my system.

Thanks for your time

Continue reading...